Winscombe complete a derby double over Yatton

Callum Stewart.

Callum Stewart. - Credit: Archant

Winscombe beat Yatton to complete a league double over their neighbours.

Winscombe 30 pts

Yatton 13 pts

WINSCOMBE completed a league double over Yatton, with a 30-13 victory at the Recreation Ground.

After an error-strewn opening 10 minutes, Steve Pugh opened the scoring for Winscombe with a penalty, but Yatton soon equalised with a penalty of their own.

You may also want to watch:

A determined chase of the restart by Stuart Warren forced a hurried clearance which was charged down. Good defence by Adam Scrase and Joe Ford gave Warren the chance of a turnover, but Yatton were penalised and Pugh restored the three point lead.

Yatton again pressuried and last-ditch tackling by Lewis Podpadec, Jim Merryfield and Owen Howell kept them out. Yatton again stole a throw-in and their lively scrum-half got within a metre of the line before the next man drove over to score on 27 minutes.

Most Read

The home side scored again when Scrase ripped the ball from a maul near his own line and Thomas and then Howell carried it to halfway. Good work by Niall Dunkley, Matt Truscott, Jim Rutherford and Howell sent Callum Stewart over in the right corner, converted by Pugh to level the scores to at half-time.

Winscombe were awarded an early penalty after good work by James Flower, Thomas and Ford, which Pugh converted to take the lead.

Winscombe nearly scored from halfway when they turned the ball over and Merryfield, Stewart and Dunkley combined, only for the final pass two metres from the line to be knocked down by a defender.

Another offensive tackle by Flower won a turnover for Callum and Pugh to break clear. As Yatton tried to drive their way out of trouble, tackles by Simon Thompson and Louis Hooper kept the pressure on.

Yatton chose to kick clear, but Stewart and Thomas ran the ball back and from the ruck, Thompson and Merryfield sent Dunkley free to touch down, converted by Pugh.

Winscombe scored their final try after Ford’s line-out catch ended with some precision passing by Howell and Rutherford, sending Flowerover for a try converted by Pugh on 74 minutes.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus