Winscombe crash out to cup holders


Rugby - Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images

Winscombe crashed out to Somerset Vase Cup holders Chew Valley.

Chew Valley 21 pts

Winscombe 13 pts

THE current Somerset Vase Cup holders were just too powerful for Winscombe in this match on a wet pitch.

The hosts chose to play against the wind in the first-half and their forwards were well organised and powerful enough to keep play away from danger apart from a few dynamic forays by the visitors.

You may also want to watch:

A strong run by captain for the day James Flower gained field position, from which Steve Pugh kicked a goal when Chew were caught offside.

Having spent the first quarter defending, Winscombe now were back on the attack as Will Thomas and Owen Howell made ground from the restart and Jim Merryfield chipped for the corner but, given the ball back, Chew again were able to clear through their forwards.

Most Read

A penalty award allowed Pugh to use the wind to gain ground and from another turnover, Truscott started Winscombe’s first series of drives which ended with Thomas offloading for Howell to scoop up the ball, but good cover stopped the attack just short.

Louis Hooper took a strike against the head and Merryfield, Thomas and Howell made good ground for Pugh to double the lead from a penalty awarded at the breakdown.

Twenty five minutes of determined effort was ruined as the Chew full-back ran back a long clearance and was allowed to make a break and touch down for a fine individual try, which was converted.

Winscombe responded well by chasing down the restart and Thomas and Adam Scrase took play almost to the line. With a concerted effort, they drove the scrummage to the line for Thomas to score a pushover try, converted by Pugh.

The visitors failed to convert two clear chances that might have given them an unlikely victory. First a scoring pass was dropped and then one was not given.

The weather worsened giving Chew more of an advantage in the second half and Winscombe could hardly escape from their half but they managed to keep their line intact until the end of the third quarter.

Chew won a ball against the head and despite excellent tackles from Joe and Aaron Ford and Simon Thompson, they managed to recycle the ball quickly and the full-back came into the line for his second try which was converted.

The game was sealed on 68 minutes when a mistake gave Chew an attacking scrimmage, from which they set up a series of drives for their second try.

Undeterred, Winscombe went on to have their best period of the half, but after getting into the home 22, could not win their own line-out, an aspect of play that let them down all afternoon, and they were soon back on the defence.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus