Winscombe emerge winners in derby
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe came out winners in this hard-fought derby encounter at Yatton.
Yatton 10 pts
Winscombe 31 pts
WINSCOMBE emerged winners in this hard-fought derby encounter against Yatton.
The home side took the lead with an early penalty as Winscombe struggled to get out of their own half. But Winscombe’s pressure eventually brought them an equalising penalty kick from Steve Pugh.
You may also want to watch:
Good play by Greg Brown, Fryer and Podpadec saw Adam Scrase brought down just short of the line. Soon after, James Flower and Jim Rutherford combined to set up Owen Howell to touch down, converted by Pugh.
Yatton replied with a run of four successive line-outs, three from penalty kicks to touch, and from the final one they executed a clever move to squeeze over in the corner. A fine touchline conversion drew the half to a close with the scores level.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 5 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Weston celebrates Great Big Green Week
- 9 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 10 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
After the break, Podpadec scooped up a loose ball to race to within two metres of the line, but Howell was in support to burrow over, again converted by Pugh.
Winscombe’s next try came from Rutherford after good work by Pugh, who also added the conversion. The visitors’ bonus point try came from Pugh, again converted to complete the scoring.