Winscombe gain bonus point in derby victory
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe gained a bonus victory in their victory over Yatton.
Winscombe 26 pts
Yatton 15 pts
WINSCOMBE scored the first time they had possession against Yatton, after tackles by James Flower, Jim Rutherford, Simon Thomson and Louis Hooper eventually forced a knock-on.
From the scrummage on Yatton’s 10-metre line, Rutherford, Owen Howell, Flower and flanker Aaron Ford combined to put Lewis Podpadec under the posts for a try converted by Steve Pugh after only three minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Winscombe were straight back on the attack when Podpadec caught the restart to kick clear and a good chase won his team a penalty at the breakdown.
Possession from two scrummages, one against the head, and some forward drives took play into the 22. Good play by Tom Ware, Thomson, Howell and Flower set up Rutherford for the second try, again converted by Pugh.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Yatton hit back as they penned the hosts in their own half. When awarded a free-kick on the 22, Yatton created an overlap to score in the corner.
After the break, Yatton took the game to Winscombe and narrowed the gap with their second try after the hosts had a player yellow-carded.
For the next 10 minutes, Yatton continued to dominate possession, helped by the award of three penalties, but made little ground against a determined defence, following the lead of captain for the day Adam Scrase.
When Winscombe finally got their hands on the ball they were held up at a maul and Yatton resumed their attempts to break down the defence. The outcome was an interception by Howell to run in from halfway to take the score to 19-10 against the run of play.
Yatton continued to dominate possession and territory, but missed a simple penalty attempt. Winscombe eventually kicked their way out of their half only to be stunned by a try from halfway by the Yatton winger with 10 minutes to play.
Crucially for Winscombe a good chase of the restart put them in an attacking position and, after a missed penalty attempt, the forwards put together some good handling to give Callum Stewart the chance to kick for position.
Ford secured the throw-in and from the maul, Howell made a clean break to run in under the posts for a try converted by Pugh. This added a bonus point while depriving Yatton of one, as Winscombe kept play in the visitors’ half for the closing six minutes.