Winscombe gain bonus point victory
Winscombe gained a bonus point victory at home to Old Redcliffians 2nd XV.
Winscombe 20 pts
Old Redcliffians 2nd XV 0 pts
Winscombe entertained Bristol’s Old Redcliffians seconds and secured a crucial try bonus point in the fight for the top of the Somerset Premier League.
After a period of sustained pressure inside the visitors’ 22, Winscombe’s first try came courtesy of a well-worked move across the backline with Rhys Lewis finishing in the corner.
You may also want to watch:
After the restart, play quickly returned to Old Red’s five-metre line and after a sequence of drives, prop Adam Scrase crashed over for Winscombe’s second try.
The visitors rallied at the beginning of the second half, but a resolute home defence kept them at bay and when play moved back into the Old Reds’ 22, quick hands saw the ball move from one side of the field to the other following a line-out, for Lewis to score his second.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
As the game approached the final whistle, it was Winscombe’s forwards who again laid siege to the Bristolians’ tryline, with Luke Fisher eventually picking up at short range and driving over for a bonus point try.