Winscombe girls run riot
Winscombe Girls Under-15s ran in 17 tries against North Petherton.
The first game of the New Year saw Winscombe Girls Under-15s make the short trip to North Petherton to play a newly-formed team.
The Winscombe girls gave debuts to two new players - Shannon Webb and Rosie Keedwell, who both excelled.
With several players missing due to injuries and representative rugby, coach Waterfield used the game to experiment with the starting positions.
The visitors got off to a strong start with Hemmes scoring two quick tries, both converted by Leader.
You may also want to watch:
With the front row of Pollard, Beasant and Wright turning ball over at breakdown and supplying ball for Leader and Granfield to run the show from half-back positions, more tries followed in quick succession from Evie Roach, Hemmes and Leader (2).
The last score of the first-half was a great team effort with forwards and backs interchanging passes to work down the field. Walker and Hemmes and Katie Britt combined to set up debutant Keedwell to score her first-ever try.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
The same theme continued in the second half, with a training ground line-out move resulting in captain Johnson being forced over to score her first-ever try for Winscombe.
Another first was round the corner as Cat Beasant squeezed through a couple of tackles to score her first try. Keedwell picked up her second try and Leader added another two tries.
Roach scored her second before the scoring was wrapped up by some sublime running by Lexie Ferguson and Francis Wilson, before Hemmes arrived to finish of the move and scorch over the line to record her fourth try and finish 107-0 winners.
A good start to the year scoring 17 tries, with Leader converting 10 and Hemmes one. Player of the match went to Katie Britt.
Next weekend, the Warriors entertain rivals Hornets in a cup match with a large crowd expected at the Combe for a 2pm kick-off.