Winscombe knocked out at the semi-final stage

Rugby generic picture

Rugby generic picture - Credit: Archant

Winscombe put up a spirited display against Clevedon in this Bristol Combination Vase semi-final tie.

Winscombe 8 pts

Clevedon 22 pts

SOMERSET Premiership club Winscombe put up a spirited display and tackled above their weight in this Bristol Combination Vase semi-final tie against Clevedon from South West 1 West, with all 18 playing their part.

The front five anchored by Adam Scrase won all 11 of their put-ins, the centres assisted by winger Callum Stewart often defended against the odds, Tom Nock was excellent under the high ball and Lewis Podpadec was pugnacious.

You may also want to watch:

In the end, it was Clevedon’s superior bulk and physical conditioning, allied to better organisation at important tactical points that made them more dynamic and able to convert a roughly equal amount of territory into three tries, compared to Winscombe’s one.

In the opening quarter, Clevedon were able to establish attacks from deep in home territory and drove powerfully at the heart of Winscombe’s defence to create space out wide.

Most Read

Three times this took them to within five metres of the line from where they twice came away with points, a try and a penalty goal. Matt Truscott’s drive after a counter-attack by Owen Howell and James Flower drew a penalty for Howell to kick three points.

Just when it looked as Winscombe would hold the visitors to 3-10 against the wind, a bulky Clevedon forward crashed over from a quickly taken five metre penalty in the third minute of added time.

Turning around with the wind at their backs, Winscombe could not have had a worse start when they lost control of their own put-in on their 10-metre line and Clevedon scored a converted try in the corner.

This only served to increase Winscombe’s resolve and it was now Clevedon’s turn to be pinned in their own half. Five times Winscombe had a chance to attack from close in, but five times they faltered.

Including the five minutes added time there were 13 minutes remaining during which Clevedon twice drove mauls to within five metres of the line, but both times were penalised at the five metre scrummages that followed.

Winscombe were able to kick clear to mount one final attack, but they were turned over at the death and Clevedon cleared to touch.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus