Winscombe ladies held to a draw
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe ladies 3rd XI were held to a 2-2 draw by West Wilts.
West Wilts Ladies 3rd XI 2
Winscombe Ladies 3rd XI 2
THIS was always going to be a competitive match between these two sides, with Winscombe lying in second place in the table and West Wilts in fourth.
Winscombe made a slow start and West Wilts took the lead after only 10 minutes. Good work by Hannah Hussey, Shirley Hartshorne and Sarah Kempster all played well, while Helen Sinclair, Katie Bowskill and Dulcie Glossop, worked hard up front.
You may also want to watch:
Their efforts were rewarded with several penalty corners in quick succession. The first corners, received by Sinclair found Gail Izzard at the far post, who brought Winscombe level with a lifted shot.
After half-time, the match was played mostly in the West Wilts half of the pitch and it was a breakaway that resulted in Wilts taking the lead, but Winscombe soon retaliated with another short corner.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 7 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Sinclair received and took a shot, the resulting re-bound fell to Molly Roberts who spotted Izzard free at the near post. A perfectly weighted ball allowed Izzard to finish strongly.
Some late pressure from West Wilts resulted in four short corners being awarded, but the Winscombe defense of Jo Hann, Gill Harvey and goalie Georgia Tulip held firm.
In the final five minutes, shots from Kempster and Sinclair went agonisingly close. The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Helen Sinclair.