Winscombe ladies hit for six
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe ladies second team were defeated 6-0 by Shepton Mallet.
Winscombe Ladies 2nd XI 0
Shepton Mallet Ladies 6
THIS was a difficult fixture for Winscombe 2nds, who knew Shepton Mallet’s first team would be strong and competitive.
Within five minutes, two soft goals and with a slightly different formation in Winscombe’s back line, the adjustment was difficult, but Jo Horwood commanded the play with Lucy James, Niamh Hyden and Annabell James responding well to her calls.
You may also want to watch:
Shepton quickly converted another chance and forced a penalty flick, that keeper Vicki Pagett could not keep out. Half time could not come quickly enough as Shepton scored again.
In the second half, Winscombe took to the pitch with renewed confidence. Chantelle Miell and Amy Knapman worked hard in midfield and Trudie Lynham and Hannah Quantick, were a threat up front.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
Centre forward Becky Mathews was unlucky on a couple of occasions, James and Horwood cleared the defensive lines well and Lynham and Hannah Hussey worked hard.
Shepton added one more to their score in the dying minutes of the game. The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Lucy James
Old Bristolians Ladies 2
Winscombe Ladies 3rd XI 1
THE third team were narrowly defeated by Old Bristolians under the floodlights.
Old Bristolians scored after 10 minutes, but Winscombe equalised after good work by Heather Batchelor, captain Gill Harvey, vice-captain Emma Whitehead who set up Batchelor to level the scores.
Against the run of play, Old B’s scored again to take the lead just before half-time, despite sterling defending by Sarah Kempster, Jo Sawtell, Katie Semple and Megan Quantick plus some great footwork by keeper Gail Izzard.
The Winscombe forwards Ella Byrne, Helen Sinclair and Shirley Hartshorne did managed to infiltrate the opposition’s D towards the end of the match, thanks to some good surging attacks by Imogen Marsh and Molly Roberts, but the equalising goal remained out of Winscombe’s reach.
The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Gail Izzard
WINSCOMBE Ladies Hockey Club is looking for a goalkeeper. Full kit and specialist coaching is provided.
For further details about Winscombe Ladies Hockey Club please visit: www.pitchero.com/clubs/winscombeladieshockeyclub or email email@example.com