Winscombe ladies hit for six
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe ladies second team were defeated 6-0 by Shepton Mallet.
Winscombe Ladies 2nd XI 0
Shepton Mallet Ladies 6
THIS was a difficult fixture for Winscombe 2nds, who knew Shepton Mallet’s first team would be strong and competitive.
Within five minutes, two soft goals and with a slightly different formation in Winscombe’s back line, the adjustment was difficult, but Jo Horwood commanded the play with Lucy James, Niamh Hyden and Annabell James responding well to her calls.
You may also want to watch:
Shepton quickly converted another chance and forced a penalty flick, that keeper Vicki Pagett could not keep out. Half time could not come quickly enough as Shepton scored again.
In the second half, Winscombe took to the pitch with renewed confidence. Chantelle Miell and Amy Knapman worked hard in midfield and Trudie Lynham and Hannah Quantick, were a threat up front.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
Centre forward Becky Mathews was unlucky on a couple of occasions, James and Horwood cleared the defensive lines well and Lynham and Hannah Hussey worked hard.
Shepton added one more to their score in the dying minutes of the game. The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Lucy James
Old Bristolians Ladies 2
Winscombe Ladies 3rd XI 1
THE third team were narrowly defeated by Old Bristolians under the floodlights.
Old Bristolians scored after 10 minutes, but Winscombe equalised after good work by Heather Batchelor, captain Gill Harvey, vice-captain Emma Whitehead who set up Batchelor to level the scores.
Against the run of play, Old B’s scored again to take the lead just before half-time, despite sterling defending by Sarah Kempster, Jo Sawtell, Katie Semple and Megan Quantick plus some great footwork by keeper Gail Izzard.
The Winscombe forwards Ella Byrne, Helen Sinclair and Shirley Hartshorne did managed to infiltrate the opposition’s D towards the end of the match, thanks to some good surging attacks by Imogen Marsh and Molly Roberts, but the equalising goal remained out of Winscombe’s reach.
The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Gail Izzard
WINSCOMBE Ladies Hockey Club is looking for a goalkeeper. Full kit and specialist coaching is provided.
For further details about Winscombe Ladies Hockey Club please visit: www.pitchero.com/clubs/winscombeladieshockeyclub or email firstname.lastname@example.org