Winscombe make a fast start
- Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images
Winscombe scored after four minutes in their home victory over Minehead.
Winscombe 27 pts
Minehead 17 pts
THE game started well for the home side with a try after four minutes.
From a scrum, Owen Howell and Matt Hoy-Green combined to worry the defence and Tom Ledger carried the move on to produce quick ball for James Flower to touch down.
You may also want to watch:
The Minehead full-back made a couple of good runs and from one, the ball was quickly recycled to create an overlap and they squeezed over in the left corner to level the scores, despite a fine tackle by Tom Nock.
Minehead were penalised at a driving maul after a clean catch in the line-out by Greg Brown and Hoy-Green put his team back in front with a well struck kick. Will Thomas gathered the restart and Winscombe were straight back on the attack as Howell, Dan Fryer and Adam Scrase made hard yards to send Flower on a fine run that was stopped just short of the line.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 4 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 7 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 8 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 New leadership team for charity
With nearly 30 minutes played, Minehead had their first put-in and they lost it. Louis Hooper sent Howell down the blind-side and Simon Thompson carried into the 22 where Hooper chipped to the right corner for Nock to win a five metre put-in.
The pack went for the push-over and Thomas was held up as he attempted to drive for the line, but when given a second chance he was not to be denied.
More pressure culminated in another five metre attacking scrum, from which Howell barged over for a try converted by Hoy-Green on the stroke of half-time for a deserved 20-5 lead.
Winscombe were on the defensive at the start of the second half, but after 10 minutes they broke through in midfield from a scrum and Thompson drove play on to give Flower room to dodge over for a converted bonus point try.
They then spurned two gilt-edged chances to put the game out of sight before going off the boil and allowing the visitors to get back on the scoreboard with a try in the corner.
Most of the final 10 minutes were played out in Winscombe territory and Minehead drove over for a converted try at the end of normal time. They then came close to gaining two bonus points in a frantic period of injury time, but the Winscombe defence held out.