Winscombe make a fast start


******* - Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images

Winscombe scored after four minutes in their home victory over Minehead.

Winscombe 27 pts

Minehead 17 pts

THE game started well for the home side with a try after four minutes.

From a scrum, Owen Howell and Matt Hoy-Green combined to worry the defence and Tom Ledger carried the move on to produce quick ball for James Flower to touch down.

You may also want to watch:

The Minehead full-back made a couple of good runs and from one, the ball was quickly recycled to create an overlap and they squeezed over in the left corner to level the scores, despite a fine tackle by Tom Nock.

Minehead were penalised at a driving maul after a clean catch in the line-out by Greg Brown and Hoy-Green put his team back in front with a well struck kick. Will Thomas gathered the restart and Winscombe were straight back on the attack as Howell, Dan Fryer and Adam Scrase made hard yards to send Flower on a fine run that was stopped just short of the line.

Most Read

With nearly 30 minutes played, Minehead had their first put-in and they lost it. Louis Hooper sent Howell down the blind-side and Simon Thompson carried into the 22 where Hooper chipped to the right corner for Nock to win a five metre put-in.

The pack went for the push-over and Thomas was held up as he attempted to drive for the line, but when given a second chance he was not to be denied.

More pressure culminated in another five metre attacking scrum, from which Howell barged over for a try converted by Hoy-Green on the stroke of half-time for a deserved 20-5 lead.

Winscombe were on the defensive at the start of the second half, but after 10 minutes they broke through in midfield from a scrum and Thompson drove play on to give Flower room to dodge over for a converted bonus point try.

They then spurned two gilt-edged chances to put the game out of sight before going off the boil and allowing the visitors to get back on the scoreboard with a try in the corner.

Most of the final 10 minutes were played out in Winscombe territory and Minehead drove over for a converted try at the end of normal time. They then came close to gaining two bonus points in a frantic period of injury time, but the Winscombe defence held out.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus