Winscombe pair triumphant at doubles tournament
- Credit: Archant
A pair from Winscombe Tennis Club triumphed at the North Somerset League ladies’ doubles tournament held at Winscombe Tennis Club.
The popular annual North Somerset League ladies’ doubles tournament staged by Winscombe Tennis Club proved a record-breaker, which gave home supporters something special to cheer about.
A total of 32 players representing the highest-ever number of clubs - 11 - battled through the day in dry and sometimes sunny conditions, but against cold swirling winds gusting to more than 20mph at times.
Organiser Gill Sayzeland, the Winscombe ladies’ captain, said that despite the often difficult conditions, there was an extremely high standard of play with everyone displaying a fair and friendly spirit and treating spectators to some long and thrilling rallies.
In the first semi-final, Juliet Knight and Claire Blythe, of Cheddar, narrowly lost in a tie-break to last year’s winners, Sue Williamson and Carole Beach, from Bridgwater.
You may also want to watch:
They in turn lost 4-6 to Winscombe’s 2014 victors, Charlie Scott and Suzie Stockwell, in a closely-fought final with all four players demonstrating skill, power and determination at the end of a long day.
Their triumph came after they had had helped the club to achieve a double success in the North Somerset winter League mixed doubles, with the A team decisively winning every match to come top of Division 3, while the B team also headed their division, achieving three points more than their closest rivals, Minehead.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
Once again the club held a successful open day at the weekend, with visitors welcomed to see the comfortable clubhouse and changing room facilities and try their skills on the six courts – four of them floodlit, while those interested in joining should contact membership secretary Suzie Stockwell on the club email address, email@example.com