Winscombe reach the final at third attempt

Winscombe Under-15s reach the final of the BJC at the third time of asking.

AT the third time of asking, Winscombe Under-15s made it to the Bristol junior cup final after winning a competitive match against Hornets.

Winscombe started brightly, dominating possession and territory and generating two Josh Daly tries. With a conversion and a penalty from Darren Atkins, the home side found themselves 15-0 up in as many minutes.

However, Hornets displayed typical tenacity and after a period of sustained pressure, Curtis Langdon broke though to score a converted try.

The visitor’s pressure continued into the second half and they scored again after a break by their left wing and after conversion the scores stood at 15-14 in the home sides favour.

You may also want to watch:

Winscombe started to raise their game and the match moved back into the Hornets’ half. Sam Dearsley was finally able to scoop up a loose pass and break through to the line to make the final 20-14.

Winscombe will play Chippenham in the final on the December 11 at a neutral venue, provisionally Whitehall RFC.

Most Read

HORNETS Under-10s travelled to Thornbury and played a couple of excellent games. Hornets were two tries down after three minutes as the Thornbury wingers showed their pace.

This wake-up call was needed and Hornets immediately played some of their best rugby this season.

Hornets won all the scrums as their heavier pack pushed Thornbury back and coupled with Hornets’ strong tackling and good rucking, resulted in four good team tries. The final result of the first game was 4-3 to Hornets.

In the second game, Hornets were again two tries down after four minutes and again came back to outplay Thornbury in all departments. The second game ended 6-3 to Hornets.

Although Reef Morton scored five tries and Tom Read four, there was a try for debutant Sam Hughes. Big tackles were made by Tim Morris, Harry McFarling, Lloyd Chudley and Adam Dawood. Plus Lawrence Pilgrim was a good scrum-half replacement after an injury to Alex Leeks. The whole team took the player of the match award.

Despite having a smaller squad than previous weeks, Hornets Under-7s put in another strong performance to earn a win against Thornbury. Hornets travelled with a squad of 11 players and played two matches with rolling subs.

The first match started slowly but Hornets opened the scoring which settled the team. There was some determined tagging and Hornets were worthy winners at 6-1.

Hornets try scorers were Max, Harvey (2), Finley (2) and Mason.

In the second game, a tightly contested first-half ended 4-3 to Hornets. The change of ends was significant, as Hornets came out firing on all cylinders and put the Thornbury attack under pressure, which were converted into Hornet tries, including two resulting from great support play and passes being made and received at full pace.

Hornets try scorers: Max (2), Harvey, Finley (3), Mason, Willow, Oliver (2). Harry the Hornet was presented to Max.

The Under-11s were once again blessed with a large squad at Thornbury. However, this can prove difficult to manage ensuring all players get equal game time.

Hornets conceded a try almost from the kick off, but they responded well by playing the rest of the first quarter in Thornbury’s half, but could not find a way to cross the try line.

Hornets started the second quarter strongly by scoring two tries by Ayden Chenoweth and Lockie Carver-Cox. The third quarter was end to end stuff with Hornets running in three more tries, all by Charlie Fairhurst and Thornbury scoring two.

Eddie Williams scored first in the final quarter, before Thornbury scored their last try on the final whistle. Hornets kicked five conversions and Thornbury four for a final score of 28-40 in Hornets’ favour.

Special mention must go to Tom Cattermole for his tackling performance. Well done to the whole squad: Amy Coles, Ayden Chenoweth, Bradley Lucas, Charlie Fairhurst, Connor Hill, Eddie Williams, Ethan Loveridge, Jack Weaving, Joe Frost, Kyle Godwin, Lockie Carver-Cox, Luke Collins, Miguel Hawkes, Nathan Langdon, Owen Brake, Rhys Clarke, Sebastian Wood, Thomas Howling and Tom Cattermole.

The Under-13s travelled to Midsomer Norton to play in the plate semi-final, coming up against a much bigger side and Hornets soon found themselved two tries behind at half-time.

The second half started on a more positive note. Bryn Soloman picked the ball up from the base of the ruck to sprint half the length of the pitch to score under the posts. Good pressure continued, but bad handling let Norton break to Hornets try line.

Although Hornets were able to defend for four or five phases, eventually Norton’s pressure resulted in their third and final try leaving the final score at 15-5.

Hornets Under-8s took on Thornbury and won both games.

In a fine display, there was some excellent tagging from Alfie and Roman plus good work from Bethany and Laura. There were tries for James and Alexander.

Squad: Robson, Roman, Andon, Sam, Alfie, Lara, Lewis, Daniel C, Daniel Russ, Louis, Lewis and Jack.

WESTON Under-12s terrific run of wins continued when they welcomed Minehead to the Rec.

Receiving the kick-off, Weston were soon into full flow with props Jack Howard and George Bamsey making huge dents in the visitors defence and it was a storming run from Howard that led to Weston’s opening score.

Weston soon doubled their lead with a try from Josh Gardner who had a great game. With Weston pouring forward, the home side scored further tries through Tom Hughes, who also had a fine game, George Bamsey and Eddie Davies. Archie Tilsley added four conversions and George Bamsey one for a half-time score of 35-0 to Weston.

The second half began with Minehead attacking but found Weston’s defence was as strong as their attack, with Mitchell Bird tackling anything in black and white.

Weston added four second half tries through Davies (2), the rapidly improving Josh Bloxham and Josh Gardner, George Bamsey (2) and Tilsley (2) adding the extras for a final score of Weston 63, Minehead 0.

The Under-11s started strongly and Jack Schafer crossed over the line. More domination by the pack gave Schafer his second try, before Minehead replied with a try of their own.

Rhys Matthews, Joe and Will Durston were all stopped short and great tackling by Mathew Ogborne and Harper kept Minehead out until just before half-time when they equalised.

After the break, Minehead went ahead, but Lewis Hicks quickly drew the sides level. Missed tackles let Minehead score before Harper replied for Weston. Josh Edwards was stopped just short as Minehead scored again to win 33-29.

Joint men of the match were Joe Harper and Lewis Hicks.

The Under-10s hosted Minehead and the first game ended in a 2-2 draw, while the second game was won by Weston 4-2.

The team consisted of captain Keelan Hodges Swales, Lewis Paterson, Jack Press, Liam Horsnell, Billy Howells, Joe Connolly, Taylor Kingston, Daniel Meaden, Hayden Main and man of the match Ethen Williams.

The Under-7s welcomed Minehead and won the first game 9-7 and drew the second 7-7.

The tagging from Weston was impressive and they played as a team, backing each other up with good passing that ensured George Nuttycombe to open their account. The match was even with Minehead matching Weston score for score.

Jacob Simpson scored his first try with a great run, followed by tries for Barnaby Edwards and William Flavin as the first-half finished 5-3 to Weston.

The second half was also close with some superb tagging and good passing. Edwards scored his second try and Brett Robinson scored in the corner. Minehead kept it even with four tries, but Nuttycombe added to his tally with a further three to give the Weston team a well-fought 9-7 win.

In the second match, both teams substituted a few players with Ben Crook joining the side. Again the play was end to end, with both teams matching each other with four tries apiece with scores from Jacob Simpson and another three for George Nuttycombe to make it even at the break.

In the second half, there was nothing between the sides as they both ran in three tries, the scores coming from Harry Collard, Barnaby Edwards and Brett Robinson making the final score 7-7.

With the Under-9s turning in healthy numbers once again, Minehead agreed to play two games.

The first game was a tight affair with both defences strong. Topping the Weston tackle count was Joel Briffitt and Charlie Harding, who both made five. They were well supported by Alfie Calcutt, Jackson Webb, Dylan Way, Ciaran Kelman and Thomas Burge, who all weighed in with some good tackles.

Minehead scored two tries, one in each half to shade a well-contested game. There were good contributions from Savio Quan, Lottie Dadds, Edward Land and Jamie Meadon, who are all improving.

The second game was an end-to-end battle with plenty of tries scored by both teams. Alfie Calcutt was once again the main threat in attack and completed a terrific hat-trick. Bradley Robinson also ran in for a double.

Unfortunatley for Weston, it was Minehead who again shaded the contest with some fine tries of their own. Weston’s defence was led by Thomas Burge, who was supported by George Charalambous, Joel and the improving Louis Warren and Louis Boon.

The game finished with a try after a powerful surge from Max Dunstone. Final score was 10-6 to Minehead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus