Winscombe reach the Somerset Vase semi-finals

Winscombe Rugby Club.

Winscombe Rugby Club. - Credit: Archant

Winscombe defeated Wellington to reach the semi-finals of the Somerset Vase.

Winscombe 33 pts

Wellington 7 pts

WINSCOMBE entertained Wellington from the Western Conference in a quarter-final Somerset Vase fixture under their floodlights.

They soon found themselves seven points down converted pressure into points. Their pack made inroads and a chance fell to centre Andrew Bellamy, who touched down for Matt Parsons to add the extras.

You may also want to watch:

Winscombe managed to sort out their scrummaging and it became a potent weapon both to provide possession and as a source of penalties with powerful eight-man drives at times pushing Wellington off their own ball.

By the 12th minute they were back on level terms when Lewis Podpadec took a quick penalty for Callum Stewart to gain field position in the Wellington 22, from which Will Thomas went over for a try, converted by Steve Pugh.

Most Read

Wellington chose to put boot to ball with the elements in their favour, but it was not a productive measure and the only chances for the next half hour were two attempts at goal by Winscombe and one by Wellington.

With the half nearly over, Wellington went down to 14 when a player was yellow-carded for indiscriminate use of the boot and the home side immediately took advantage.

They set up a catch and drive on the 22 and Thomas broke blind from the maul to send Paul Cashman over in the left corner.

Pugh slotted two early penalties after the break to put the home side comfortably in front by 11 points. The Red and Blacks made valiant attempts to get back on terms, but with the slope and the breeze now against them, the young Wellington side came under further pressure and began to buckle.

Three further unconverted tries by wing Stewart, Slovenian international Podpedec and James Flower rounded off proceedings for the home side.

Winscombe came out comfortable winners in a match played in good spirit to progress to the semi-finals. Captain Dan Fryer suggested that it was a great team effort from one to 22, with Cashman at his best in his last game before six weeks out of the country.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus