Woodland juniors kept busy
- Credit: Archant
The juniors at Woodland Tennis Club have been kept busy with several events at the club.
WOODLAND Lawn Tennis Club has been busy with junior activities this summer.
First of all, the four-day summer coaching course took place, with 32 children taking advantage of the sessions.
It was tournament day next as the club’s annual junior singles competition took place, with the younger girls taking part in their own round-robin competition.
Eventually, Noa Mamic beat Scarlett Johannsen in a close final which saw one rally of 16 shots. Katy Brown and Amelia Briffitt enjoyed a similarly close consolation final, which was played in good humour.
You may also want to watch:
In the boy’s draw, 12 took part in an initial round-robin event and the top eight went into the quarter-finals. After two tense semi-finals, Oliver Fuller and Tom Deverson qualified for the final.
The last of the junior events was a senior and junior tournament, where each junior was paired up with a senior. The doubles was fast paced and the seniors were impressed by the quality of the junior’s play, as Chris Bond and Tom Deverson emerged the eventual winners.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
Club secretary, Annie Buckingham, was delighted with the events. She said: “No matter what our juniors get involved in, the reports back always describe how well behaved they are and how high their standard of tennis is.”
For more information about the club, contact Annie Buckingham on 01934 415472 or visit the website at woodlandtennisclub.co.uk