Woodland juniors kept busy
- Credit: Archant
The juniors at Woodland Tennis Club have been kept busy with several events at the club.
WOODLAND Lawn Tennis Club has been busy with junior activities this summer.
First of all, the four-day summer coaching course took place, with 32 children taking advantage of the sessions.
It was tournament day next as the club’s annual junior singles competition took place, with the younger girls taking part in their own round-robin competition.
Eventually, Noa Mamic beat Scarlett Johannsen in a close final which saw one rally of 16 shots. Katy Brown and Amelia Briffitt enjoyed a similarly close consolation final, which was played in good humour.
You may also want to watch:
In the boy’s draw, 12 took part in an initial round-robin event and the top eight went into the quarter-finals. After two tense semi-finals, Oliver Fuller and Tom Deverson qualified for the final.
The last of the junior events was a senior and junior tournament, where each junior was paired up with a senior. The doubles was fast paced and the seniors were impressed by the quality of the junior’s play, as Chris Bond and Tom Deverson emerged the eventual winners.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 4 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 5 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 8 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 9 Customers urged to support local pubs, restaurants and cafes to boost hospitality sector
- 10 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
Club secretary, Annie Buckingham, was delighted with the events. She said: “No matter what our juniors get involved in, the reports back always describe how well behaved they are and how high their standard of tennis is.”
For more information about the club, contact Annie Buckingham on 01934 415472 or visit the website at woodlandtennisclub.co.uk