Worle girls finish as runners-up
- Credit: Archant
Worle Community School girls’ football team finished as runners-up at the Winter School Games.
WORLE Community School seven-a-side girls’ football team won their North Somerset group to qualify for the Winter School Games held at SGS College (South Gloucester and Stroud).
The school team were a mix of year nine and 10 pupils. Fifteen schools entered the competition across the South West to qualify for this event.
Worle played well and comfortably beat Hayesfield 6-0 with a hat-trick by Phoebe Payton. The next three matches were a little tougher with Worle winning 1-0 in two games and a tense 0-0 game against Oasis Academy.
The girls won their group and were into the semi-final versus SBL. Fantastic saves from goalkeeper Hannah Worley and a tight defence from the Ferdinando sisters meant a clean sheet and two goals from the forwards.
You may also want to watch:
Worle played the final against Bedminster Down who sustained two injuries which ran the clock down. Shots on target came from Lauryn Nigh and Desni Darch, but a quick break meant Bedminster were 1-0 up with three minutes to play.
The team pushed for the equaliser, but Bedminster broke out to score another as Worle became runners-up out of North Somerset, Bristol, BANES and South Gloucestershire.
- 1 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
PE teacher Miss Gibbins said: “This was an amazing experience for all involved and a runners-up medal to go in the ever expanding trophy cabinet.”
Team: Lauryn Nigh, Saskia Moore, Amy Coles, Hannah Worley, Georgia Ferdinando, Eva Ferdinando, Desni Darch, Aimee Cox and Phoebe Payton.