Worle juniors regain some pride

JUNIOR SOCCER - WORLE Under-9s entertained Yatton, who had beaten them 6-0 earlier in the season.

WORLE Under-9s entertained Yatton, who had beaten them 6-0 earlier in the season.

A fired up Worle came racing out of the blocks eager to restore some pride. End to end action ensued, with Worle's Ben Williams, Charlie Harvey and Ted Crabb competing superbly.

However, Yatton took the lead with a deflected strike. This gave Yatton the confidence to press on, but Will Stephens and Worle keeper Aaron Pitt were equal to the task.

In the second half, a refreshed Worle showed their spirit. Some rampaging runs from a determined Max Lainchbury kept Yatton on the back foot and great efforts from Johnson Druce and Williams tested the Yatton keeper, but they held on for victory.

Special mention to the whole team for a magnificent performance. Blagdon Water Gardens man of the match was Max Lainchbury.

The Under-9s welcomed Nailsea to the Queen's Way to try to get their first double of the season.

Most Read

The Worle parents pulled together to get the game on after the heavy rain overnight left parts of the pitch underwater.

Worle took the game to Nailsea from the kick off and Charlie Harvey started the new year with a fantastic performance and was at the heart of everything.

Captain Ted Crabb and Ryan Johnson drove down the wings and kept the Nailsea defence busy all game. Crabb opened the scoring for Worle with his second goal in two games, which saw Worle 1-0 up at half time.

A period of continued pressure led to Will Stephens doubling the lead with a great strike. The reliable Max Lainchbury, Ben Druce and Daniel Williams worked hard to keep Worle's lead intact.

Defenders Ben Williams and Josh Ball snubbed out the rare Nailsea attacks and when needed, keeper Aaron Pitt was confident and assured.

The Blagdon Water Gardens man of the match was awarded to the whole team.

KEWSTOKE Under-9s were up against high flying Clevedon, who had only lost one game and conceded a total of 11 goals all season.

The A team started brightly with Weston and Worle Advertiser man of the match Matteo Turvey proving a real menace in the middle of the park. Jake Manville had an exceptional first half and was rewarded with the opening goal. Ryan Pugh added a second which saw Kewstoke, marshalled well by captain Mitch Laughton, two up at half time.

This was a game of two halves and Clevedon piled on the pressure from the restart. Three quick goals saw Clevedon complete a great comeback and take the lead. However, Kewstoke showed great spirit and dominated the last five minutes, with Ryan Pugh, Genetious Teboh and Sam Ford all going close.

It was Sam who poked home the equaliser after Ryan was denied by the keeper from distance. A great game that finished 3-3.

Without a goalkeeper, this was always going to be a difficult game for Kewstoke's B team.

However, Ollie Babb and Ryan Hill both showed great character and played a half each in goal. Great defensive play from Charlie Sweeting and Thomas Perry throughout the first half kept Clevedon to scoring just the one, with Ollie coping well in goal.

Ryan went in goal for the second half and did well when called upon. However, this was to be Kewstoke's half. Defender Tim Page was solid at the back and made some great forward runs. Jake Dunn was superb in the middle, as too were wingers Ashley Hastwell and Addy Bungay.

The Andy Page Web design man of the match went to striker Ollie Babb. He scored twice, which was enough for Kewstoke to win 2-1.

PRIORY Pumas Under-9s returned after their five week break full of enthusiasm and started with a convincing win.

Piling on the pressure from the start, an early goal from captain Sam Parkinson followed by a quick second from Drew Hodges got Pumas off to a flyer.

Further goals from Parkinson and Hodges followed in the first half and they were joined on the score sheet by Keaton Walker and Ewan Griffith before half time.

Some excellent defending from Luke Darby and Zac Johnson kept Saxons at bay.

The second half saw much the same pattern with Pumas pushing forward relentlessly. Hodges added two further goals to take his tally to four for the match, Walker added his second and Oliver Stokes snatched a late goal.

Saxons did break away to score a deserved consolation, to the dismay of Pumas keeper Zac Bacon, who had an excellent game.

The goal of the match came from Tom West. Following a superb cross from Matthew Tanner, the ball reached West who struck the ball first time from 20 yards into the back of the net.

Man of the match was Drew Hodges.

The Under-10s started confidently against Axbridge. Joe Calvert and Marshal were at the centre of most attacks.

As soon as Axbridge broke through the midfield, it was left to Alex and Joe Kelly to repel the attacks as the half finished goal-less.

Second Half,

After the break, Joe Calvert crossed for Lewis to put Pumas 1 -0 up. Marshal then set up Lewis for his second and put Pumas 2-0 up. Lauryn worked hard and put some great balls through to both Joe and Marshal. Bailey made some great tackles and Joe was unlucky not to score.

Both Finn and Jordan put in 100 per cent effort. Alex cleared to Lauryn, she passed the ball to Marshal who scored to finish the game 3- 0.

Man of the match was close between Joe Calvert and Lewis Magor, but Lewis just got the vote.

HUTTON Juniors Under-14s hosted Westfield in the Lewin Cup in what was a close, entertaining fixture.

Hutton had the best of the opening exchanges with winger Hallam Bickell and strikers Mac Lovell and Ronan Britton causing problems for the visitors defence.

Westfield began to find their game but they were constantly harried into mistakes by Josh Liddiard and George Chapman, but they took the lead midway through the first half when Hutton failed to close down quickly enough following a corner.

Hutton continued to attack and minutes later Adam Thompson volleyed against the post after Britton found space to find an excellent cross and soon after Hutton were deservedly level when the same combination resulted in Thompson heading home.

Josh Selwyn, Adam Francis, John Xahn and Seb Clatworthy provided a solid platform at the back and protected Gabe Woods in the home goal, who had little to do until Westfield were awarded a penalty for handball.

Woods kept out the spot kick but could do little to prevent the rebound being poked home and Westfield went in 2-1 up at half time.

The second half was an even affair with Connor Sweeney and Jamie Commons all having good games. Rob Liddiard made his first appearance of the season following a serious leg injury in the summer.

Jamie Huggins found the net with a neat chip but the effort was ruled out for offside. Chances were few and far between for the rest of the game and the game ended in a narrow defeat for Hutton.

RMC Security man of the match as awarded to Hallam Bickell.

BANWELL Under-13s were unlucky to lose 3-2 to Winscombe in the Tesco Cup.

Banwell struggled on muddy pitch to get their passing game going early on. They were undone by a long ball from Winscombe who scored. Banwell fought back to equalise through Jack Butterfield after good work through the midfield of Josh Kay, Joe Brett, Ben Clatworthy and Matt Wareham.

Banwell were caught by another long ball over the defence, keeper Jordan Sotiris went off injured and was replaced by Keiran Bellingham, who had great game. Butterfield was fouled and Rhys Spurling scored from the free kick. Soon after, Brett hit the post from long range.

In the second half, Banwell defended much better with Kallum Gavin, Sam Bond, Mitchell Collins and Joe Lawrence all doing well.

The midfield began to control the game with Ollie Habgood having a good game. Banwell created lots of chances with Spurling and Butterfield going close, but towards the end Winscombe scored a breakaway goal and hung on for victory.

Persimmons man of the match was Keiran Bellingham.

Banwell Under-10s played Clevedon United in a friendly which was entertaining straight away with some great passing football by both teams.

Jack Partridge in goal denied Clevedon with some fine saves and then supplied some long balls over the top to Max Bretherton in attack who had a number of chances.

Billy Berry worked hard in midfield to release the wide players Luke Edwards and Ben Tucker. James Hart and Connor Burns had to be on their game to close down Clevedon.

Banwell made a number of changes with Ben Meakin coming on in goal and Jamie Jenkins and Ben Vernon taking up the defence for Banwell with good effect.

Steven Baker played on the right with Matthew Gilmore on the left, but it was Harrison Giles that did all the damage with two great goals to give Banwell the lead. Kaan Berk saw a shot hit the crossbar before a great piece of play enabled him to get on the score sheet as well.

Banwell then introduced Thomas Galliers in defence and Joel Wills in midfield. A great piece on football ended with Baker passing to Berk, who set up Giles for his hat-trick which resulted in Banwell winning 4-0.

The Cube @ Morse's man of the match went to Harrison Giles and Joel Wills for some great football.

WESTON Crusaders Under-14s were defeated 6-0 in the Lewin Cup by Heathfield Youth, an accomplished side from Taunton.

The match started at a frantic pace with the midfield of Mike Dancer, Ryan Elkins, Cyrus Molton and Joe Godfrey involved in a battle to gain control against a well drilled and physically strong Heathfield side.

The visitors went ahead through a breakaway goal midway through the first half, after which the Crusaders back line of Tom Light, Callum Climo, Callum Wilson, Billy Morrissey and keeper Ben Lampon had to be at their best to thwart the visitor's attack.

The second half began with Crusaders on the offensive and looking for an equaliser. With the midfield tussle so intense, the strike partnership of James Lawrence and Kieren White found themselves with few opportunities.

Changes were made in an effort to find the elusive goal. With the introduction of Aaron Thomas and Luke Loveridge, Crusaders continued to battle with opportunities created.

The visitors continued to press but were denied by a fine goalkeeping display from Ben Lampon and some determined defending. The pressure began to tell and Crusaders fell victim to some good goals in the last 15 minutes.

The final score was a somewhat unfair reflection of the effort put in by the whole team. Formula 1st man of the match award went to keeper Ben Lampon.

HAVING watched the preceding A-team fixture in which Gordano Valley Giants Under-9s were trounced 12-0 by Cheddar, the Cheddar B team took to the pitch wearing new kit, expecting to put a few past the local Bs.

The game started well for the Cheesemen, with an early pass from Joe Bracewell allowing captain James King to dodge the Valley Giants' defence and fire the visitors ahead. But like the previous week's cup match, it proved to be a brief spell in the lead, as Gordano counter-attacked and forced Cheddar's goalie Lewis Frost to push a shot over the bar, before capitalising on the resulting corner to level the scores. A series of accurate passes through the struggling Cheddar defence left Gordano 2-1 up at the mid-point.

The second half saw Cheddar come out brightly, with shots from Sam Catling and James King finding their way into the side-netting. But despite strong blocking play from an in-form Bracewell and creative work in the midfield from Oliver Crandon, the locals pulled another goal ahead after five minutes.

This set the scene for further penetration of the visitor's back line, Cheddar's Tom Welchman and Alistair Davies unable to hold back the advance of Gordano's front pairing.

The score reached 8-1, but should have been more even, with several late shots testing the local keeper before the final whistle blew.

Cheddar Bs player of the match was Joe Bracewell.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter