Worle just miss out in the final
Worle lose a well-contested Somerset Senior cup final against Long Ashton.
WORLE travelled to Wells City to play Long Ashton in the Somerset Senior cup final.
Taking a squad of 15 plus a coach of supporters they were in confident mood, having had a great run of results towards the end of the season.
Worle were dealt a blow when manager’s player of the year Jason Potter pulled out when failing a fitness test. Sam Clements was drafted into the starting line-up and had a great game.
Worle started slowly against a more experienced Long Ashton side and only some great defending kept Long Ashton at bay. The best chance of the first half fell to 16-year-old Ryan Evans, who took a great pass of Marcus Bail turned his defender, but his shot hit the post.
The second half was an even affair with few chances created. Long Ashton took the lead when a free kick was half cleared to the edge of the box and was coolly finished.
Worle pushed forward bringing on both Ash Brewer and Troy Hannam and it was Hannam who had a brace of chances that were not converted, but his presence was causing problems and Worle were playing with three up front alongside Connor Hull and Ryan Evans.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 3 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 4 Teachers at school take on Movember challenge
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
- 7 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 9 Famous spoof awards winner announced
- 10 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
It was a breakaway goal that gave Long Ashton the cup, but Worle came out with credit and much experience.
? Worle’s AGM went well and first team managers Lee Plumley and Gary Coles were re-elected for next season. The second team will be run by Toby Dean and Mike Parker. Stephen Kent, Matt Adams and Andy Day will be supporting the managers.
Secretary and treasurer: Dave Brine; chairman: Rich Casey; president: Dennis Cole.
Training has already begun at Worle Recreation Ground (6.45pm). New and old players are welcome.
Worle are looking for new sponsors for match balls for home games. Please call Gary on 07534 957980 for more details.