Worle knocked out of the cup

JUNIORSOCCER - WORLE Under-9s travelled to Yatton in the cup looking to rebuild some pride after a heavy defeat in the league.

JUNIORSOCCER - WORLE Under-9s travelled to Yatton in the cup looking to rebuild some pride after a heavy defeat in the league.

In the first half Yatton found an extra gear and slotted two quick goals and added a third just before half time. Worle re-grouped and the introduction of Ted Crabb and Ryan Johnson proved to be the difference. Dan Williams broke down the wing but saw his cross half cleared and Max Lainchbury pulled a goal back.

This spurred the Juniors on and Ben Druce pounced on a cross to slot his second goal of the season. Despite further Worle pressure the Yatton defence held firm to progress to the third round.

WESTON Crusaders Under-10s A beat Portishead Juniors 6-2 in the second round of the cup.

You may also want to watch:

After a tight first few minutes Crusaders won a corner which was nodded past the keeper by Jamie Havard and added another before half time to make it 2-0. After the break some flowing play saw Cory Thomas-Barker complete his hat-trick, one being a long-range effort. Two goals from Piers Rac took the score to 6-0 before two late goals from Portishead saw a good finish to the game.

The B team were away to Priory Rangers A in the cup and took a comfortable win, thanks to goals from from Ryan Thomas (3), George Williams (3), Owen Denyer (2), Archie Tilsley and Will Redding.

Most Read

A special mention for Herbie Courdroy and James Parsons. Crandon Construction man of the match was a joint win this week to Johnny Hale.

The Under-14s went down 4-1 away to first division leaders Portishead Juniors.

The first 15 minutes saw Crusaders penned into their own half, but the defensive line of Tom Light, Callum Climo, Jack Bridgman and Billy Morrissey were a match for Portishead.

There was an equally tough battle going on in midfield with Ryan Elkins, Mike Hosey, Cyrus Molton, Mike Dancer and Joe Godfrey working hard. Despite this Crusaders continued to play their passing game and were gaining in confidence with James Lawrence's pace and presence always a threat and Mike Hosey took advantage of a loose ball to put Crusaders ahead.

The lead was almost doubled a few minutes later but the Portishead defence kept the ball out of the net. The scores were levelled by a breakaway goal just before half-time.

In the second half keeper Ben Lampon was called on to make some good saves, however Portishead went ahead with two fortunate goals resulting from goalmouth scrambles. Crusaders made a number of changes as the half progressed, with substitutes Jamie Wedmore, Kieren White, Luke Loveridge, Callum Wilson and Aaron Thomas coming on and slotting into their roles well.

Aaron Thomas almost reduced the deficit but his powerful shot was tipped round the post by the home keeper and a further goal was conceded. Crusaders never gave up and battled to the final whistle. Manager Leigh White awarded the Formula 1st man of the match award to the whole squad for a gutsy and determined performance.T

The Under-15s were away to Yatton Athletic and took the lead on five minutes with a headed goal by Tom Swash. They continued to pressurise and were rewarded with a second goals following a brilliant move by Matt Ingerset.

Yatton put up a good second-half display and pulled a goal back, but Crusaders held out to win 2-1. Man of the match was Ollie.

KEWSTOKE Athletic Under-16s crashed out of the cup in a scrappy game with a disappointing performance going down 6-1 to Clevedon United

Although Kewstoke could offer the excuse of the loss to injury of James Matyear and Dario Flood before the match, this was a disappointing performance.

Not helped also by the loss of keeper Chris Ritchie after 20 minutes after a crashing challenge, Chris Jones ably deputising.

It all started so promisingly, with Kewstoke moving the ball well though midfield, and Ashley Baldwin smashing in a shot on the half volley from 35 yards after five minutes.

Few Kewstoke players came out of this game with credit. An exception was TaxAssist Accountants man of the match Matthew Davidson. Sean Thomas, asked to fill in at centre-half, had a mixed game by his standards, Rhys Gregory tried hard to play the ball out of defence, Ashley Baldwin gave a captain's performance, and Tom Deane TaxAssist Accountants players player of the match, offered some quality.

Up front David Mayer fought a lone battle with little service and co-striker Jordan Elliot was forced to drop back into midfield too often.

The Under-9s A were away to unbeaten free scoring Long Ashton in the cup. Sam Carter showed safe hands when called on, but the defensive pairing of George Creech and Mitch Laughton kept Long Ashton limited to just a couple of real chances.

Ryan Pugh and Western Power Distribution man of the match Sam Ford, were again excellent, while Genacious Teboh delivered another sparkling performance in the middle. Kewstoke captain Jake Manville popped up with yet another beautifully taken goal, his best so far this season

When introduced in the second half Evan Brunsdon and Matteo Turvey kept up with the game's frantic pace. This was a thrilling match which finished 1-0 to Kewstoke A.

The U-14s had a disappointing result, losing 4-2 to Milton Nomads, as they conceded two goals in the opening minute. Nomads failed to create another opportunity within the penalty area for the remainder of game, as their two further goals came from a fine strike from outside the box and an opportunist return from a goal kick that looped over the keeper.

The Kewstoke defence were on tremendous form, Ed Newstead and Alex Siossios were supported well by Loz Nelson, but Ross Holder, in a new role as sweeper was exceptional. Captain Luke Williams played well in midfield.

In took until the final 20 minutes for Kewstoke to find their rhythm. Josh Badham added some balance to the midfield alongside Jak Cochrane and NG and with Cameron Jones playing up front, chances were created with Jones hitting the net twice and only an amazing save in the final four minutes denied him a hat-trick. Thanks to substitutes Pat Brock and Ollie Grant who were unable to get on during the match.

Howards Group man of the match went to Ross Holder

KEWSTOKE Juniors Under-16s won 4-1 away to Nailsea United to progress into the quarter-final of the Woodspring Cup.

Alex White provided a defence-splitting pass that freed Jake Fisher to score. Confronting Nailsea's strong pressure-play, Tom Sage and Owain Hunt were made timely interceptions, before Tom Newbury headed in White's corner to double the score.

Eventually, Nailsea were awarded a penalty for hand-ball that, despite Joe Newbury spectacularly saving the initial shot, was scored on the rebound for 2-1. Kewstoke went straight back on the offensive with a Fisher-Sheldon combination in which Sheldon made it 3-1 before half-time.

Although the second half was a story of missed chances, Harry Lewis converted Jack Book's quick cross and James Harvey contained Nailsea's physical edge throughout. The manager's man of the match was Tom Sage, who must also be congratulated for his selecton into the Somerset FA's Under-16 squad, while the players' award went to Jake Fisher.

The Under-12s reached the quarter-final of the cup with victory over Churchill Club 70.

Kewstoke almost took an early lead when Hunt hit a post and the opening goal followed when Hunt beat his defender and shot across the keeper. Keeping pressure on Kewstoke's second came with a speculative lob from outside the area. Eardley and Harding also came close, but found the Churchill defence in good form.

Churchill threatened with some quality football and pulled one back before the break. Churchill started the second half brightly, but the Kewstoke defensive line held firm. Kewstoke's midfield took control and nice passing between Richardson and Roberts found Edwards in the box shot who past the keeper. The win was sealed with Hunt's hat-trick after he connected with a great cross from Eardley.

WESTON St John's Under-14s played hosts to Priory Vikings for the fifth match in this 12-match season.

Priory, unbeaten in four games, were met by a Saints side determined to make amends for a defeat by Priory earlier in the season.

Scoring within four minutes, Saints showed their intent as a terrific strike from Pricey flew past the stranded keeper. Priory pushed hard and were held by some excellent midfield defence, particularly Joe Dale. Kieran Rigney and Travis Vierk used both wings to put Priory under pressure, but they hit back with two quick goals. Undaunted, Saints continued to press and Jordan Andrews came close several times and linking with Regan Bawden gave the Priory defence a lot to think about. Andrews was rewarded for his efforts and levelled the score.

The next 15 minutes saw a struggle for midfield domination with the Saints back four coping well, with Ben Thompson making some excellent stopping tackles,Tom Forte, under pressure, made some heroic challenges and Simon Pritchard worked tirelessly. Lewis Morgan was strong at centre back had a solid game pairing with Thompson. Saints keeper James Savage was called on a few times to make some good safe saves. The stalemate was finally broken by Priory, but their jubilation was soon stifled by a determined mid field attack leaving Pricey to slot home his second.

In the second half Saints dominated midfield and Andrews was released on the right by Rigney, and scored a good goal. With the lead established Saints Pricey completed his hat-trick, and Jordan Andrews collected two more, but a quick break by Priory gave them their last goal.

With Saints coming out 7-4 winners they could be proud of their individual high work rate and terrific team work. Forte Financial man of the match was awarded to Jordan Andrews.

PRIORY Pumas Under-9s suffered their first defeat of the season in a well contested and tense second round cup match against a well organised Winscombe A side.

Pumas took the lead midway through the first half with a breakaway goal from Keaton Walker, shortly followed by a strike from Ewan Griffith, while some excellent goalkeeping from Luke Darby kept Winscombe at bay.

The second half saw the visitors pull an early goal back and relentless pressure gave Winscombe the edge with two further late goals to make the final scoreline Priory Pumas 2 ,Winscombe 3.

The Under-10s lost 4-1 to Burnham United A in the cup, but they played their best football so far in the first half with Joe Kelly and Finn Finch playing a defensive game. Marshal Hale and Alex Crowther had some great upfront play with Burnham having to really defend hard, and Marshal and Lauryn Nigh had some good shots on target.

Burnham took the lead, beating keeper Joe Calvert. Pumas kept their heads up and continued to defend well and Joe Calvert made some fantastic saves. Lewis Magor made a clean pass to Alex who pushed it forward to Marshal who made a strong, but his shot was saved well, only for Lauryn Nigh to equalise from the rebound.

In the second half both teams played well and it could have gone either way, but Burnham scored on the break. Pumas put on pressure, with Marshal and Alex having several shots. Burnham took advantage of Pumas pushing forward to score twice for a 4-1 win. Man of the match was keeper Joe Calvert

Top of the table, the Under-11s struggled to beat bottom club Cheddar Valley Jets 2-1

Seven minutes into the game Cheddar Valley scored that gave keeper Tom Brannigan no chance. Pumas struggled to get into the game for a while, butcame close on a couple of occasions with good runs down the left from James Holbrow causing panic in the Cheddar defence.

The equaliser came after 12 minutes as Harry Rear scored his first goal for the club and after 21 minutes they went ahead when Sam Stokes latched on to a through ball and scored.

Ten minutes into the second half Tom Brannigan produced a brilliant save to keep Pumas in front. Tom Starr had a chance late on in the game but the keeper made a save. Man of the match went to Sam Stokes for a great all-round display.

HUTTON Under-13s continued their good cup form winning 9-3 at home to Gordano Valley Rangers.

Gordano started strongly with successive attacks and keeper Lewis Condon made several athletic saves.

Lee Tinklin opened the scoring, but Gordano came straight back, scoring with a long range shot to equalise. Hutton steadied the ship with some tough tackling from Marcus Walters and Callum Cheeseman before a good move involving Ben Hurst and Ryan Parker saw a shot go just wide. Anthony Badman gave Hutton the lead with a well taken goal and Sam Matthews got the third.

Hutton started the second half full of running, Jonathan Clarkson played a pinpoint pass through to allow Tinklin to score his second and this was quickly followed by Badman getting his second.

Matthews made a good run, beating the offside and shooting past the keeper to make it 6-1. Gordano rallied with a period of pressure that led to their second. Hutton settled into their stride with Oliver Norville making a good run on to a through ball for his first Hutton goal. Badman followed this with his third and Hutton's eighth. Matt Jeffries worked hard to win the ball and Leon Hele was full of running. Gordano continued to attack and scored a third before George Michael finished the game off with a strong run and excellent finish. Man of the match was Lewis Condon

The Under-12s were drawn in the second round of the cup against Crusaders and they opened the scoring when Zak was brought down and Charlie Harris scored from the penalty spot.

In midfield, Josh Pratt made jinxing runs down the right to put in good crosses which Zak forced good saves from the Crusaders keeper. James Chudley made telling runs down the left and scored a well-taken goal.

Goalkeeper Oliver Edwards organised his defence well and cleared superbly when called on. In defence, Dan Cox shone all game while George Thorne and Stefan Thomson read the game superbly.

On the right Alex Kilpatrick had by far his best game so far linking well with the midfield. Up front, Matthew Jones and Bradley Cousins combined well with Bradley coming close on a couple of occasions.

Hutton made a change bringing on Seb Longhorn in an unaccustomed position of striker instead of defender and all praise for good efforts that nearly brought dividends.

Hutton started the second half and soon made it 3-0 when James Chudley netted when linking well with Charlie Harris and capped a fine performance notching his hat-trick after a fine through ball from Josh. Hutton made it 5-0 when Charlie evaded two tackles to grab his brace before the goal of the game from Stefan who let fly from 35 yards flew over the keeper to make it 6-0.

On a rare Crusaders attack keeper Oliver made a great save before Crusaders netted two late consolation goals to end the game 6-2.

A special mention and credit to young referee Tom Newbury who officiated superbly.

The AGM Services man of the match was shared by Alex Kilpatrick and James Chudley.

The Under-14s produced their best performance of the campaign to end Yatton's 100 per cent start to the season with a hard fought 2-0 win.

Hutton struggled to clear their lines in the early stages as Yatton pressed, but they soon turned this around and nearly snatched the lead when Hallam Bickell's run and cross evaded everyone as it ran across the face of the visitors' goal.

Confidence flowed and the central midfield pairing of Josh Liddiard and George Chapman took control and with Bickell and Adam Thompson providing a stream of crosses, Mac Lovell and Ronan Britton were unfortunate not to open the scoring.

Hutton took a deserved lead midway through the first half when Adam Francis' free kick was volleyed high into the net by Chapman. This spurred Yatton into greater efforts and keeper Gabe Woods had to be on his toes to race from his line to claim the ball and minutes later produced a flying save.

The second half continued to be an even affair with Yatton throwing everything at the home goal but Francis, John Xahn, Seb Clatworthy and Josh Selwyn stood firm. The introduction of Connor Sweeney and Jamie Huggins provided fresh legs and soon after Hutton were rewarded when Chapman was hauled down in the penalty area and Liddiard extended the lead.

As Yatton pressed to save the game Selwyn and Xahn produced excellent tackles and Woods was again forced into action, while at the other end Bickell found crosses narrowly evading Huggins, Lovell and Britton.

Both sides should take credit for an excellent game which was well refereed by John Major.

RMC Security Man of the Match was awarded to Ronan Britton for another tireless display.

The Under-9s B put on an excellent display in this cup contest. Ciaran Murphy, George Darch and Toby Butterfield were a constant menace and with Liam Bailey and Sam Mannings-Hill, put together several flowing passing moves. James Brown and Jake Adams were outstanding in defence and Harry Harman confident in goal. Using the slope to their advantage, Hutton started quickly. Murphy scored first with a shot that took a deflection off a Backwell defender, Butterfield claimed his first of the match, and Darch scored with an excellent back heel as Hutton dominated.

The goal of the game came when a move, started by Harman, went through every player and ended in a Butterfield finish. Further goals came from Butterfield, Darch (2) and Murphy.

BANWELL Under-13s put in their best performance of the season beating Taunton Youth League Division 1 Wessex Youth 3-2.

In a hectic opening 10 minutes Banwell's defence had to be at their best with Ben Clatworthy, Sam Bond, Sam Granger and Ollie Habgood playing well. After 15 minutes Banwell took the lead when Matt Wareham passed to Josh Kay who flicked on for Jack Butterfield to score, and added a second with Lewis Cahill and Joe Brett forcing a corner and Ollie Habgood powered a header over thehome.

Keeper Jordan Sotiris had a great game tipping a fierce shot over the bar and making a brilliant double save. Banwell made it 3-0 at half time when Jack Butterfield's shot hit a post and Matt Wareham followed up to score.

In the second half Wessex started quickly and scored after10 minutes, then with 15 minutes left they added the second. Banwell had to dig deep to protect their lead with Mitchell Collins and Luke Holden winning some important tackles. Josh Kay broke away, beat two players, but was stopped by the keeper.

Banwell, with only nine fit players on the pitch, continued to work hard and thanks to a great defensive prformance held on for deserved win. Persimmons Homes man of the match was Ben Clatworthy.

The Under-10s A faced Swiss Valley Rangers in the second round of the cup. Awarded a corner, Luke Edwards played it short to Charlie Camper who converted at the near post to give Banwell the lead. Ben Tucker provided pass to open up the Rangers defence and allow Billy Berry in to extend the lead.

Connor Burns followed this up with a great run beating a number of players before setting Berry up for his second. Keeper Jack Partridge was quick to release the forwards with a long kick that found Charlie Camper who passed back to Ben Tucker who scored the goal of the game from long range. James Hart in defence made life difficult for Rangers by breaking down every attack. Sam White was active in attack and provided a great ball for Billy Berry who went close to getting a hat-trick when his shot from range was helped across the line by Luke Edwards. Edwards then set Charlie Camper up for his second of the game to make it 6-0 to Banwell

The Cube @ Morse's man of the match went to Ben Tucker.

The B team beat Swiss Valley Rangers B 5-0 in a friendly and dominated possession from the start. Jamie Jenkins was instrumental in defence in picking out some great passes, one of which set up Harrison Giles for a stunning goal.

Giles was then taken down in the area and Jamie Jenkins converted well from the spot. Keeper Steven Baker had a quiet game but was excellent with his kicks to set up Max Bretherton in attack who was denied by the Rangers keeper on two occasions. Joel Wills and Ben Vernon worked hard in defence to deny Rangers.

Jamie Jenkins made a great run and set up Harrison Giles for his second goal and a poor goal kick from Rangers fell to Kaan Berk who nutmeged a defender before scoring at the near post. Steven Baker opened the Rangers defence up with a great pass allowing Matthew Gilmore to score the last goal.The Cube @ Morse's man of the match went to Jamie Jenkins.

WESTON Town Under-11s secured a place in the next round of the cup with a 4-2 win over Clevedon Town. Despite going behind to an early goal, Weston always seemed to have another gear and were 2-1 up at the break thanks to goals from Lewis Chappell and James Fewings.

After the break Josh Baker made his return after breaking his arm in the previous round of the cup and extended Weston's lead. Clevedon rallied and pulled a goal back but Weston made the game safe when Ben Griffiths fired home. Worle Century Club man of the match went to keeper Connor Harris.

PRIORY Rangers A Under-9s beat Kewstoke B 1-0 in the Knockout Cup second round.

Priory went straight on the attack from the kick off with Bradley Lucas winning a corner from which Cai Williams came close to scoring but for a good save from the Kewstoke keeper.

Good work down the right from Taye George set up Bradley only for his shot to go just wide. The goal came from a corner taken by Ollie which got deflected in off a Kewstoke player.

The second half started with Lewis Milkins and Bradley playing well in midfield. An Ollie Wilcox shot was saved by the keeper and Cai shot just wide. The defence of Josh Edwards , Nathan Langdon and keeper Ayden Chenoweth played well as did the Kewstoke defence who kept the score down to just one goal. Man of the match was Bradley Lucas for a great all round performance.

MILTON Nomads Under-9s A hosted Nailsea A in the Under-9s Knockout Cup. Both teams started well but Nomads made the first attempt on goal which was defended well by Nailsea.

Nomads stepped up a gear and Matthew Ogborne crossed the ball with accuracy to Matthew Hayden but his shot on goal was parried, but Matthew Ogborne scored

Nailsea came into form forcing Nomad's keeper Charlie Woodards to make one excellent saves to keep the score line 1-0 at half time.

The second half started well for Nomads with some quality football from midfielder William Fuller allowing Matt O to shoot for goal, but Nailsea's defence dealt with it. Nailsea hit back on the counter attack and despite some excellent initial defending, a weak clearance led to the visitors equalizing.

For the remainder of the second half the game was end to end with desperate attempts by both teams to take the lead but at the end of normal time the score stayed 1-1.

During the first half of extra time Nailsea had the strongest attempts on goal but Nomads defenders Konnor Norrish, Liam Byrne and Harry Little kept them out. The second half of extra time again saw Nailsea push forward and eventually with two minutes to go, they scored the goal to take them through to the next round of the cup. The ABL man of the match was awarded to Matthew Ogborne.

The Under-9s B were away to the in-form Burnham A team in their second round of the Knockout Cup. Burnham were strong from kick off and quickly got their first goal, but great effort from Jack Rickwood, Charles Constable and Connor McDowell in defence stopped Burnham time and again.

A second goal came towards the end of the first half, quickly followed by a penalty, which was saved by goalkeeper Christopher Bedingfield, however Burnham scored from the rebound.

Nomads started the second half with the same great effort and determination as they finished the first, but after relentless pressure, Burnham scored their fourth.

Nomads heads did not drop and some counter attacks led to shots from Alex Smithers and Harry Beer. Nomads battled to the end but conceded two more goals before the final whistle. The six-nil final score showed Burnham's dominance but did not reflect every single Nomads players dedication and work rate from start to finish. The ABL man of the match went to Charles Constable.

HUTTON Girls Under-10s beat Warmley Girls 2-0 to continue their good form with a win that took them to third in the table.

Chloe Woods was commanding in goal, with Saskia Moore and Hannah repelling all the Warmley attacks. Desni Darch controlled the midfield ably assisted by Stephanie Abram and Orla Crabb.

Phoebe Paynton, up front, was full of running. A good move down the right saw Crabb cross to Abram, who did well to adjust her feet and finished into the bottom right hand corner.

Minutes later, a clearance was latched on to by Darch, who finished past the keeper from outside the box. The game was even in the second half, with both teams playing some exciting football. Woods had to make some good saves and the girls all made telling tackles to keep Hutton in front.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus