Worle on top at Radstock

Radstock Town Res 0 Worle 5 - THE opening 10 minutes of this Division 1 game were nervy.

Radstock Town Res 0

Worle 5

THE opening 10 minutes of this Division 1 game were nervy.

The awful weather conditions contributing, with both teams playing poorly. Worle got their teeth into the game after 15 minutes with Si Hewish finishing a good move from a tight angle. Soon after Ryan Clark, who was having a notable game in right midfield, was knocked unconscious and Ben Goodrum was given an early appearance.

You may also want to watch:

His introduction kicked Worle up a gear, scoring twice before half time. The second half started a lot brighter than the first with Worle playing attractive football despite the conditions. One move in particular resulted in a penalty being won by Jacob Staines, Rio scoring from the spot.

Ben Goodrum got his hat-trick soon after to finish off the scoring with Worle finishing up convincing winners. The management praised the defence of Sowden, Pearson, Earey, Gould and Staines who was replaced near the end by Clements due to a shoulder injury.

Most Read

The midfield of Hewish, Gardner, Randall, Smith, Clark and his replacement Goodrum. All played well, in particular Josh Randall who pulled the strings with two assists. But the sponsor Royal Hotel man of the match goes to Ben Goodrum.

Cheddar 0

Ilminster Town 1

CHEDDAR went out of the League Cup after this poor performance against an Ilminster team who clearly wanted the scalp of the top team in the league and deserved to progress for commitment if nothing else.

The game started on a pitch that was playable but never going to be conducive to good football and from the start the visitors seemed to be first to every challenge and never let the Cheddar side get their brand of free flowing football going and when they did find time the Cheddar passing was off target and lacking any belief.

Frustration was setting in early and Ilminster gave early notice of their intent as they missed a good chance from close range, however Cheddar then had the best chance of the first half when Dean Grubb beat the offside trap but as he tried to round the keeper he was sent wide and the chance was gone.

The only goal of the game came on the half hour when Cheddar defended poorly and left two or three players lining up to apply the finishing touch for Ilminster.

Cheddar came out for the second half with a much clearer game plan and they took the game to the visitors. They should have scored at least at couple of times as they created several good chances, the two best both came from Dean Grubb crosses with close-range headers missed by Mike Edmonds and then the league's top scorer, Adam Jones.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus