Wrington Redhill stay top of the league

Uphill Castle v Cheddar.

Uphill Castle v Cheddar. - Credit: Archant

Wrington Redhill remained top of the league, despite a goal-less draw against third-placed Frome Collegians.

Wrington Redhill 0

Frome Collegians 0

IN another top of the table clash, leaders Wrington Redhill met third-placed Frome Collegians to determine possible promotion.

The first chance fell on 10 minutes when Frome hit the Wrington post. Soon after, fine interplay between Craig Burchill and Graham Cheeseman found Mark Andow on the edge of the box, only to shoot straight at Frome keeper.

You may also want to watch:

Joe Berry had a chance to put Wrington in front, but the keeper made a fine save. Two minutes into extra time, Frome were awarded a penalty, which was not converted and both sides went in all square at half-time 0-0.

After the break, Cheeseman’s rasping shot was well saved and Neal Andow shot over the bar as neither side could break each other down and the game finished goal-less.

Most Read

Man of the match was keeper Mark Wilson.

Uphill Castle 2

Nailsea Town 1

UPHILL earned a well-deserved victory over a good Nailsea side.

Nailsea opened the scoring from the penalty spot, the strike giving keeper Mark Rawlins no chance. Uphill equalised when Jordan Elliot’s cross was superbly volleyed home by Paul Wray to make the half-time score 1-1.

The second half was dominated by Uphill with Ben Harris, Mike Deane, Jack Askins and Sam Beresford controlling the midfield battle. Elliot came close to giving Uphill the lead, but his strike was well saved.

Uphill defenders Marcus Bail, Lewis Smith, Joe Boon and David Long dealt comfortably with all that the Nailsea attack had to offer. Uphill took the lead when a good cross by Bail was fired home by Elliot to make the final score 2-1.

The Old Thatched Cottage player of the match was Marcus Bail.

Portishead Town Res 1

Uphill Castle 1

CASTLE earned a point with a good performance against a strong Portishead side.

Uphill created the better chances with Sam Beresford, Matt Bebber, Paul Wray and Jordan Elliot all causing the Portishead defence problems.

Uphill defenders Mike Deane, David Long, Barry Flynn, Josh Thorne and Jack Riney were all playing well and it was slightly against the run of play when Portishead took the lead.

The second half began with Uphill on the back foot and keeper Mark Rawlins made two excellent saves to keep them in the game. Uphill were awarded a penalty for a handball and Jack Askins stepped up to fire the ball home and make the final score 1-1.

The Old Thatched Cottage player of the match was Mark Rawlins.

Glastonbury Res 3

Winscombe 5

WINSCOMBE and Glastonbury played out a goalfest at a windswept Abbey Moor. The visitors opened the scoring after only 25 seconds through Robbie Winters and went further ahead when Winters looped his header from a Hutchinson cross past the keeper.

Glastonbury equalised with two goals inside a minute, before Mike Flint gave Winscombe a half-time lead.

Winscombe started the second half against the wind and went further ahead when Winters shot took a deflection and went in for his hat-trick. Glastonbury pulled a goal back, but Simon Willis extended Winscombe’s lead.

Although both Winters and Flint played well, the Winscombe Fish Bar man of the match was Simon Willis.

WRINGTON Redhill Football Club end of season presentation evening is scheduled for May 9 (7.30pm) at The Recreation Ground.

The reserves have already achieved promotion to Weston & District League Division 3 and hopefully the first team will have secured a place in the Premier Division of the Somerset County League.

For more details, go to www.wringtonfc.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter