Wyvern whitewashed by Uphill in derby
- Credit: Archant
Uphill A proved too strong for Wyvern in this derby match at the Hans Price Academy.
UPHILL A mixed badminton team played local rivals Wyvern in Division 1 of the North Somerset Badminton League.
The fixture was played at the recently refurbished sports hall at Hans Price Academy, which is home to both clubs.
The Uphill team consisted of Ellie Jewell, Christy Langford, Becky Halfpenny, Paul Edwards, Matt Cole and Mark Edwards. Although Wyvern needed two players from the B team to play up, Uphill proved too strong on the night.
Wyvern also lost a player through injury and needed to concede one of the ladies’ doubles rubbers. The Uphill team were on good form winning all rubbers in two games.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill captain Mark Edwards said: “We have played three matches so far and won in two games in all of them. The team are in good form and yet to concede a single rubber from 27.”
The junior representation from Uphill play in the E team, which met Pill B in a Division 5 match. The team consisted of Lauren Rickwood, Georgia Wood, Chloe Palmer, Luke Morgan, Will Bennet and Ryan Collins, who was playing in his first representative match.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Pill B team ladies, Sue Webber, Linda Pasley and Moira Roberts won all their doubles rubbers which made the difference to the outcome of the match. Pasley and Roberts also won their mixed doubles rubbers partnering Mark Brooks and Lee Hargreaves. Uphill’s Luke Morgan managed to win all his doubles rubbers in two games. The stand-out game was the final men’s doubles rubber played between Uphill’s Bennet and Collins against Pill’s Mark Brooks and Lee Hargreaves.
Uphill lost the first game 18-21 and won the second game 21-15. The rubber was poised for exciting finish in the third game and was tied at 20-20, before Pill eventually won 24-26. The match result was 6-3 to Pill.