Youngsters win Archdale Cup
A team of youngsters from Cleeve & Claverham Banwell B team won the Archdale Cup.
CLEEVE & Claverham Banwell B, who enjoyed an unbeaten run in their Archdale Cup matches, faced this season’s Division 2 Champions Totterdown C.
The match opened with Totterdown’s Rick Cross (10) versus Max Jeremiah (9) with Max following up good services with excellent hitting, winning 18 and 16.
Beth Atkinson (13) took the first game against Totterdown’s Gary Chell (11), but using his chop service to good effect he won the next two.
Mark Price (11) faced Banwell’s Hannah Cope (14), with Cope getting off to an excellent start with 11 before Price scored a point, keeping her lead winning the first. Price won the next and just managed to win the third 21-17, which could have gone either way.
You may also want to watch:
Chell started well in the next, but Jeremiah eventually triumphed 21-12 in the third. Despite some good hitting from Cope, Cross won the close fought games. Atkinson was in fine form against Price leading 8-2 at one stage. Price won the second, but Atkinson won the third after a flying start.
Cope started well against Chell and was 7-1 up, but Chell caught up at 12 each and went on to win both games. Jeremiah and Price were next in action, with Jeremiah winning 21-11 in the third.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 5 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 8 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
The match now tied at four each. The final game was between Cross and Atkinson. After struggling in the first set, Atkinson won the next two to give the youngsters of Banwell a well deserved Archdale Cup win.
The AGM will be held on June 18 at Weston Cricket Club, Devonshire Road, Weston (7.30pm).
All clubs are reminded that at least one member should be present. Also the post of secretary is vacant and that of publicity officer.