Dickens classic heads to a Weston-super-Mare stage
- Credit: Archant
A Worle theatre group will take over The Playhouse at the beginning of June to bring hit show Oliver! to a Weston crowd.
Worle Operatic and Drama Society (WODS) will perform Lionel Bart’s Oliver! at the Weston theatre from June 1-3.
The musical is based on the classic novel Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.
The theatre production premiered in the West End in 1960 and has since been performed around the country by hundreds of different theatre groups.
In 1963 Lionel Bart received a Tony Award for Best Original Score and since then the production’s songs have become well known to the public.
You may also want to watch:
Now WODS will put their own spin on the show, bringing famous characters such as Oliver, Fagin and Nancy to the Weston stage.
The show opens as half-starved orphan boys are entering an enormous dining room only to be fed gruel, but they quickly find solace by imagining something richer on the menu as they sing Food Glorious Food.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 4 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 5 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 6 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 7 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 8 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 9 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
The play then sees Oliver introduced to Fagin’s gang of pickpockets – but Oliver quickly finds himself in trouble.
The show also includes well-known songs such as Consider Yourself, You’ve Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two and I’d Do Anything.
The show will be at The Playhouse, in High Street, from June 1-3. There will be performances at 7.30pm each evening as well as a 2.30pm show on June 3. Doors will open 30 minutes before each performance.
Tickets, priced from £16-17 for adults or £58 for a family ticket to cover two adults and two children, are available by calling 01934 645544 or via www.theplayhouse.co.ukThe Mercury has teamed up with The Playhouse and WODS to offer two lucky readers the chance to win a pair of tickets to the show.
To enter, simply answer the question below.
Or, send your answer, along with your name, address and telephone number to: Oliver! competition, Weston, Worle & Somerset Mercury, 32 Waterloo Street, Weston-super-Mare, BS23 1LW by 10am on May 26.
Usual Archant rules apply and the editor’s decision is final.
By entering, you agree to be contacted by Archant.