Ellie Goulding in Bristol
AN ARTIST with an incredibly distinctive voice will take to the stage for a pre-Christmas gig in Bristol.
As her debut album, Lights, made so thrillingly clear, Ellie Goulding uses her voice as a texture in much the same way that a skilled instrumentalist would use their instrument.
It is a sound – in Ellie’s case, an utterly distinctive and unforgettable one – that can play as important a role in her songs as any other musical detail.
It’s been a meteoric rise to fame which has seen her bag a Brit award, a concert at the White House and an appearance at a certain spring wedding, as well as a number one pop record in the United States.
But Ellie has now returned to the countryside she grew up in and, in a converted barn, made a record that confirms her as one of this country’s most singular and compelling songwriters.
You may also want to watch:
Two fans are a young couple who, 17 months ago, were married in London and, for one of the few private moments the world allowed them on the day, approached Ellie and asked her to sing at the party they were holding following the wedding reception.
It is not every day a musician will stand on a stage as a pair of giant doors open, and watch pretty much the entire Royal Family advance into the room, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at their head, ready to be entertained.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 5 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 10 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
Ellie will take to the stage at the O2 Academy Bristol on December 7.
Tickets, priced �22.50, are available via www.o2academybristol.co.uk