True story of women’s campaign for equal pay told at Weston theatre – win tickets to watch Made In Dagenham
- Credit: Ben Hurst
The rousing true story of a group of women who brought a Ford production line to a standstill in a bid to make their voices heard and win equal pay will be performed by a Worle theatre group.
Made In Dagenham is based on true events in Essex in 1968, where women working in a stitching room at a Ford car factory are about to have their pay grade dropped to unskilled.
Their strike made national headlines as they campaigned for men and women to receive equal pay for equal work.
The musical is based on the 2010 film of the same name, where seamstress Rita becomes the unwitting leader of the strike.
She takes the issue right to the heart of the Government’s trade union committee with Harold Wilson and Barbara Castle contributing to its outcome.
You may also want to watch:
WODS Musical Theatre Company is taking the production to the Blakehay Theatre.
It follows their last performance, Oliver!, and it is the first time the show has been staged in Weston-super-Mare.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 'Bright future' for Weston high street
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
It features music by David Arnold, who composed the scores for five James Bond films and the TV series Sherlock, and lyrics by Richard Thomas, who worked on Jerry Springer: The Opera.
The numbers include Made In Dagenham, This Is What We Want and Everybody Out.
Made In Dagenham will be at the Blakehay Theatre, in Wadham Street, on November 2-4 at 7.30pm, with a 2.30pm matinee on November 4.
Tickets, priced £13.50-14.50, are available from www.worleoperatic.co.uk/tickets and 01934 645493.
The Mercury has teamed up with Worle Operatic & Dramatic Society to offer two pairs of tickets to the 7.30pm show on November 4.
The competition closes at 10am on October 29. Usual Archant rules apply and the editor’s decision is final. By entering the competition, you agree to be contacted by Archant.