Worle group to perform Hairspray
- Credit: Archant
WORLE Operatic and Dramatic Society’s Musical Theatre Company is ending its award-winning year with a production of the Broadway show Hairspray.
The show, which will be performed at The Playhouse in October, tells the story of Tracy Turnblad who has dreams of becoming a star.
It is based on the 1988 John Waters film Hairspray and the later remake starring Zac Efron and John Travolta. It features the uplifting You Can’t Stop The Beat, as well as Good Morning Baltimore and Ladies Choice.
The society performed at The Playhouse last year, with Jesus Christ Superstar.
The show was awarded best production at the David Beach Awards, which recognises amateur dramatic shows across the South West.
The society is looking for people from ethnic backgrounds to join the cast for Hairspray, to add to the 40-strong ensemble, from ages 15 and over.
A spokesman for the society said: “Hairspray has a historic and positive message relating to race running through its toe-tapping and upbeat soundtrack.
- 1 WATCH: Cars get caught out by tide on Weston beach
- 2 Man attacked with axe in Weston
- 3 Boat sinks off Weston coast
- 4 'Tragedy' as hundreds of fish die in Weston pond
- 5 Weston MP slams council for bus cuts in North Somerset
- 6 See Monster viewing platform to open next week
- 7 Weston Labour launch campaign to halt bus cuts in North Somerset
- 8 Person dies after incident at Weston's Marine Lake
- 9 Life-sized suffragette made of Lego to tour Weston next week
- 10 Pictures show police deal with man on rooftops in Weston
“And if you want to help portray that, get in touch with us.”
Anyone interested in getting involved should email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hairspray will be at The Playhouse on October 1-3 at 7.30pm, with a 2.30pm matinee on October 3.
Tickets, priced £15.50-16.50, are available from www.worleoperatic.co.uk/tickets