Worle group to perform Hairspray
- Credit: Archant
WORLE Operatic and Dramatic Society’s Musical Theatre Company is ending its award-winning year with a production of the Broadway show Hairspray.
The show, which will be performed at The Playhouse in October, tells the story of Tracy Turnblad who has dreams of becoming a star.
It is based on the 1988 John Waters film Hairspray and the later remake starring Zac Efron and John Travolta. It features the uplifting You Can’t Stop The Beat, as well as Good Morning Baltimore and Ladies Choice.
The society performed at The Playhouse last year, with Jesus Christ Superstar.
The show was awarded best production at the David Beach Awards, which recognises amateur dramatic shows across the South West.
You may also want to watch:
The society is looking for people from ethnic backgrounds to join the cast for Hairspray, to add to the 40-strong ensemble, from ages 15 and over.
A spokesman for the society said: “Hairspray has a historic and positive message relating to race running through its toe-tapping and upbeat soundtrack.
- 1 Council hits out at 'flawed' report ranking Weston as second-worst seaside town
- 2 Royal Pier Hotel redevelopment would 'help to regenerate town'
- 3 Who you can vote for in Avon and Somerset PCC elections
- 4 Urgent need for volunteers to help with vaccinations
- 5 Weston Mercury building up for sale
- 6 Hot air balloons return to Weston
- 7 Closure of A370 in Weston for improvements
- 8 Chargeable garden waste collection service begins
- 9 Contractors chosen to design Banwell bypass
- 10 Wetherspoon pub closes in town centre
“And if you want to help portray that, get in touch with us.”
Anyone interested in getting involved should email email@example.com
Hairspray will be at The Playhouse on October 1-3 at 7.30pm, with a 2.30pm matinee on October 3.
Tickets, priced £15.50-16.50, are available from www.worleoperatic.co.uk/tickets