Worle group to perform Hairspray
- Credit: Archant
WORLE Operatic and Dramatic Society’s Musical Theatre Company is ending its award-winning year with a production of the Broadway show Hairspray.
The show, which will be performed at The Playhouse in October, tells the story of Tracy Turnblad who has dreams of becoming a star.
It is based on the 1988 John Waters film Hairspray and the later remake starring Zac Efron and John Travolta. It features the uplifting You Can’t Stop The Beat, as well as Good Morning Baltimore and Ladies Choice.
The society performed at The Playhouse last year, with Jesus Christ Superstar.
The show was awarded best production at the David Beach Awards, which recognises amateur dramatic shows across the South West.
You may also want to watch:
The society is looking for people from ethnic backgrounds to join the cast for Hairspray, to add to the 40-strong ensemble, from ages 15 and over.
A spokesman for the society said: “Hairspray has a historic and positive message relating to race running through its toe-tapping and upbeat soundtrack.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 3 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 4 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 5 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 9 Freedom Day: Should we come out of lockdown on June 21?
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
“And if you want to help portray that, get in touch with us.”
Anyone interested in getting involved should email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hairspray will be at The Playhouse on October 1-3 at 7.30pm, with a 2.30pm matinee on October 3.
Tickets, priced £15.50-16.50, are available from www.worleoperatic.co.uk/tickets