Your guide to North Somerset Arts Week
PUBLISHED: 17:00 30 April 2015
MORE than 300 artists from across the district are coming together for North Somerset Arts Week.
The biennial event celebrates and unites the array of talented artists in the area, with free-to-enter exhibitions in a variety of venues displaying work in every medium imaginable.
Arts Week starts tomorrow (Friday) and finishes on May 10.
Check out www.northsomersetarts.org for more information and to download a brochure.
Here is a run-down of the various events and artists exhibiting in Weston and the surrounding villages as a handy guide for art-lovers.
Events in and around Weston:
• Event: Film Weston – a celebration of filmmaking in North Somerset.
Date: May 8-10.
Time: Starts 6.30pm Friday, 3pm Saturday and 3pm Sunday.
Venue: Loves Café, 9 West Street, Weston.
• Event: West Mendip Orchestra concert, performing Brahms, Beethoven and Sibelius.
Price: £8 or £4 for children and students.
Date: May 9.
Venue: St Mary’s Church, Church Road, Yatton.
• Event: Weston Schools Exhibition, showing work of key stage three and four pupils across Weston.
Price: Free entry
Date: May 7-9
Venue: St Anne’s Primary School, 1 Scot Elm Drive, West Wick.
Contact: 01934 520461 or stannes.
• Event: Time Travel drama and story workshop – drama and story-making for children aged seven to 11.
Price: £6 per child
Date: May 9
Venue: Weston Library, Town Hall,
Walliscote Grove Road, Weston.
Contact: 01934 426010 or email email@example.com
• Event: Children’s Scrapstore North Somerset Open Day
Price: Free entry
Date: May 16
Venue: The Motex Centre, Winterstoke Road, Weston
Exhibitions in Weston and the surrounding area:
• The Coach House Studio Group and Brockley 17: Jackie Meredith – jewellery, Suzy Hannabuss – jewellery and glass, Conny Ridge – ceramics and textiles, Fi Harris – textiles, Debbie Smith – sculpture, prints and painting, Caroline Wait – enamels. The Coach House Studios, Brockley Hall, Brockley.
• Joan Hudson and Patricia Scott – painting and drawing including scenes of local interest. Kingston Seymour Village Hall, Ham Lane, Kingston Seymour.
• Philip and Jacki Barwell – furniture restoration, painting and drawing. Doublton Coach House, 22 East Street, Banwell.
• Studio 8 Artists: Sheila Bamford – painting, Tina Dodd – painting and printing, Chris Harvey – paper sculpture, Bridget Morrison – ceramics and textile, Paulo Virgo – paintings and cards, Jacki Barwell – printmaking. The Fire Station, East Street, Banwell.
• Jed R Franklin – painting and drawing, with a specialism in portraits. Riverside Studio, 9 Riverside, Banwell.
• Connective Tissue: Mark, Tracy and Kate Nesbit – painting, drawing, sculpture film and video, Sidcot students – various work. Sidcot Arts Centre, Oakridge Lane, Winscombe.
• Ted Scammell – mosaics, paintings and drawings. Charlotte’s Tea Room, 16 Woodborough Road, Winscombe.
• Mandi Murray and Lon Sandford – mixed media, painting and drawings, printmaking inspired by the natural world. Meadows Restaurant, Puxton Park, Hewish.
• Judith Peasland – paintings and drawings of local views. 46 George Street, Weston.
• Chris Holman and Melanie Hamer – abstract paintings and life drawings. Flat 3, Torres Mansions, 8 Edinburgh Place, Weston.
• Roger Ellicott – painting, Alan Cook – photography and live music. 23 Ashleigh Road, Milton, Weston.
• Mary Nutley and Susan Ullyott – fused glass jewellery and silk paintings. 2 Kewfields, Kewstoke Road, Weston.
• The Quarry Duo: Sinclair Taylor and Joan Hall – ceramics and sculpture. The Old Town Quarry, South Road, Weston.
• The Loves Collective: Karen Blake – mixed media painter, Vivienne Kennedy – photography, Keith Ramsey – photography, Rebecca Louise Weeks – prints and illustrations. Loves Café, 9 West Street, Weston.
• The Carlton Centre students – illustration, jewellery, mixed media, painting, drawing, textiles, woodwork. The Carlton Centre, Carlton Street, Weston.
• Secret Space: Julie Dean – glass, Dash Sarker – installation, Carol Delaney – mixed media, Chris Jones – mixed media. 2a Boulevard, Weston.
• Beccy Heal – painted glass panels inspired by landscape and nature. Flat 2, 59 South Road, Weston.
• Wayside Arts – various medium: Rebecca Balakrishna, Sarah Wight, Janice Ashworth. 22 Wayside, Weston.
• Dianne Slingsby – unique tiles and gifts inspired by local landmarks. Banwell Pottery, Worle, 58 New Bristol Road, Worle.
• Jo Green – mixed media, painting, drawing and textiles. 12 Instow, Clovelly Road, Worle.
• Overtones Studio: Derek Stenner – painting and drawing, Annie Taylor – glasswork inspired by the North Somerset coastline. Overtones Studio, 103 Beach Road, Sand Bay, Kewstoke.
• Severn Ceramics: Simon Phelps, Stephen Maddicks, Gail Darke – ceramics. 75 Beach Road, Kewstoke.
• Suzy Cooper – mixed media, paintings, drawings and sculpture. 44 Kewstoke Road, Kewstoke.
• Sand Studio: Deborah Pawle and Jo Herbert – ceramics, textiles and jewellery. 75 Beach Road, Kewstoke.
• Ann Fisher – painting, drawing and printmaking inspired by nature. 19 Beechwood Avenue, Locking.
• Alison Procter – paintings and drawings, Treelands, Hillside Road, Bleadon.
• Art at the Refectory: Richard Brooks – painting and illustration, Brenda Wright – painting, Sue-Jane Barton – jewellery, Jonquil Brooks – textiles, Sue Krekorian – textiles and mixed media, Rob Donachie – painting and illustration, John Pope – ceramics. The Refectory, St Andrew’s Church, Congresbury.
• The Old School Rooms: Renee Kilburn – ceramics, Graham Evans – painting, Paul O’Donnell – wood, Andrew Bryden – ceramics, Renate O’Donnell – textiles. Station Road, Congresbury.
• John Lyndum Roberts – sculpture and woodwork based on birds. Middlecombe Nursery Ltd, Wrington Road, Congresbury.
• Daioni – jewellery and textiles: Elke Davies, Christine Matthews. 29 Franklins Way, Claverham.
• Claverham Meeting House – painting and drawing, printmaking, sculpture and mixed media: Sue Hammond-Lovatt, Margaret Micklewright, Clive Hammond-Lovatt, Cora Stock. Claverham Meeting House, Meeting House Lane, Claverham.
• The Barn Gallery: Ruth Ander – printmaking, Alexandra Chetwode – sculpture, Gail Mason – printmaking, painting and ceramics. The Barn Gallery, Claverham Meeting House, Meeting House Lane, Claverham.
• The Wool Shop Collective: Kim Smith – textiles, Caroline Walker – textiles, Sheila Liddle – textiles. 39 Main Road, Cleeve.
• Weston and District Guild of Embroiders – textiles: Cleeve Village Hall, Cleeve Hill Road, Cleeve.
• Kath Hambleton and Julie Harwood – painting and drawing. 16 Warner Close, Cleeve.
• Art to Inspire at Simshill: Bridget Winterbourne – painting and mixed media, Willa Ashworth – metalwork, Paul Hardy – painting and drawing, Touchmark Guild of Contemporary Jewellers – jewellery. Simshill, Roper’s Lane, Wrington.
• Cooks Gallery – glass and jewellery: Wendy Tandy, Celia & Emma. Broad Street, Wrington.
• Rosalind Peacock – textiles using vintage materials. Ashcombe, West Hay Road, Wrington.
• Julie Kingcott – mixed media specialising in animal portraits. The Plough Inn, High Street, Wrington.
• Barley Wood Walled Garden Studios: Becky Wills – glass, Jane Geeson – enamels and painting, Tina Gordon – painting and drawing, Sandie Hargreaves – mixed media and sculpture, Barbara Barden – sculpture, Jennifer Davidson – painting, jewellery and textiles, Karen Edwards – ceramics and sculpture, Bill Moore – ceramics, Lucy Routh – painting and drawing. Barley Wood Walled Garden Studios, Long Lane, Wrington.
• Glaisters: Harry Bunce – printmaking, AW Hall – sculpture, Amy Shiner – painting and drawing. Glaisters, Church Walk, Wrington.
• Behind The Clock: Trudi Day – painting and drawing, Pear Tree Arts – ceramics, Anne Carpenter – textiles, Liz Johnson – jewellery. The Reading Room, Churchill.
• Breakaway Art Group: various artists – mixed media, painting, drawing, photography and printmaking. Churchill War Memorial Hall, Ladymead Lane, Churchill.
• Rod Hobbs & Anita Pegler – painting and drawing based on the North Somerset landscape. Lake View, Blagdon.
• Ann and Shannon Bristow – jewellery and mixed media. 9 Blackmoor Close, Lower Langford.
• Langford Road: Sarah Aumayer – glass and jewellery, Lesley Gleeson – jewellery and enamals, Sarah Quick – textiles. Mydsomer, Langford Road, Lower Langford.