Weston to celebrate Christmas light switch-on
- Credit: Archant
Weston-super-Mare’s Christmas lights will illuminate the town this Saturday night.
Weston Town Council has invested in a new star-themed festive display this year and the lights will be switched on at 5pm in the Italian Gardens.
The mayor Mark Canniford has opted for a traditional celebration this year to mark the countdown to Christmas, with mulled wine, mince pies and music from Weston Brass band.
Cllr Canniford said: "I have asked for the Christmas light switch-on to be a more traditional affair as we do lose Christmas in the whirl of the festive period.
"I wanted it to be far more inclusive and will be asking everyone to join me for a cup of mulled wine to toast the start of the Christmas season.
You may also want to watch:
"Please come along and enjoy the company of Weston Brass, see you there."
There will be more lights than ever this year covering a greater area of the town, including Orchard Street for the first time in many years.
- 1 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 2 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 3 Pub fun day raises hundreds of pounds for charities
- 4 Council backs call to improve poor health in seaside towns
- 5 Water Adventure Play Park's water is off again
- 6 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
- 7 Former mayor and mayoress of Weston celebrate diamond wedding
- 8 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 9 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 10 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village