Weston to celebrate Christmas light switch-on
- Credit: Archant
Weston-super-Mare’s Christmas lights will illuminate the town this Saturday night.
Weston Town Council has invested in a new star-themed festive display this year and the lights will be switched on at 5pm in the Italian Gardens.
The mayor Mark Canniford has opted for a traditional celebration this year to mark the countdown to Christmas, with mulled wine, mince pies and music from Weston Brass band.
Cllr Canniford said: "I have asked for the Christmas light switch-on to be a more traditional affair as we do lose Christmas in the whirl of the festive period.
"I wanted it to be far more inclusive and will be asking everyone to join me for a cup of mulled wine to toast the start of the Christmas season.
You may also want to watch:
"Please come along and enjoy the company of Weston Brass, see you there."
There will be more lights than ever this year covering a greater area of the town, including Orchard Street for the first time in many years.
- 1 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 2 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 3 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 8 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 9 April 12 reopening: Weston shops preparing for spending spree
- 10 Weston micropub closes permanently due to coronavirus pandemic